Sunday, April 20, 2008

Such a Variety


I have been a little slow on the post lately but this is not because of the lack of wine as that has been pretty consistent, no it has been down to pure laziness and other commitments. Over the past few weeks i have a sampled a few different wines and continued to look for the right Zin to take on my trip this summer.
I recently discovered the Syrah variety which i was completely unaware to be the same grape as the Shiraz, but i must say that of the two labels that i have drank, one being another Pepperwood i have to say it seems to me to be a very different drink from the Shiraz that i have drank in the past. The Pepperwood is becoming quite popular in this household.
I also have turned to tasting some French wines, Bordeaux being the most popular of french wines, and i have to say the taste was what i expected it to be , more complex than my usual drinks but very likable, with a very intense colour and dry taste it was a wine that i have taken my time drinking and enjoying.
In a recent post i tasted a Dona Paula Cabernet Franc, to which the results were greatly approved by Thud ,this lead me to look further into the label and i found a Malbec. This grape i had not tasted before and so gave me another reason to purchase a bottle to consume at a later date.
And finally the Zin Challenge, well this has been hard to find at present and the only decent contender has been the Pepperwood, so this has lead me to start looking at Primitivo wines, the same grape just produced in southern Italy. I am currently drinking a bottle of Dorio 2003 which is a blend of Primitivo(85%) and Aglianico (15%). This has a deep colour and a distinct aroma that has a similarity to box a liquorice all sorts, strange i know but i kind of like it. The finish is long and pleasant and fruity. The Aglianico gave the acidity. Not sure if its a contender we will have to see.

No comments: