Sunday, January 11, 2009

Torrontes and Apple Pie




There are two main factors for getting apple pie right, the first is the pastry. This needs to be the right consistency not too short, enough to hold it together when cream is added and just the right amount of sweetness. The second is the apples, these need to be selected so they give just the right amount of tartness and sweetness, cooked for the right amount of time to ensure there is no crunch in that first awaited bite.
But after tonight maybe there should be a third, that being the selection of wine you choose to enhance the experience. I have in the past, found it difficult to find and enjoy a good white wine, as I have said on many occasions. The taste has not always impressed me and often reminded me of drunken females drinking in sweaty bars, although I would occasionally take part in drinking such wine I could only handle a glass or two before the taste became too much. However tonight has been a revelation in itself as I have not only enjoyed a surprisingly good bottle of white wine but it was cheap too. It was Vinomaker that planted the seed, and Thud who found the wine and made the pie. The grape is Torrontes and is produced from one of my favourite countries of wine, Argentina. This bottle happened to be Norton’s Torrontes and its flavour was as subtle as I would have designed a white wine to be, its colour, nose and alcohol matched its character in that it was pleasant from the pouring to the finish, that was not evasive but inviting and could be experienced at any time of the year but I guess at best in the evening sun on a deck in Napa (no wonder this is Vinomakers favourite). I had tasted some nice Pinot Grigio over the summer but I was so impressed by this wine that its effect as left me wanting to buy a bottle to keep in the fridge in the strange event we may have guests or more so we have a heat wave. Great wine, great pie and even better company, all we need now is the weather and we have a cracking recipe.

6 comments:

Thud said...

Good pie...yes, good wine...yes,...good company...me?...heaven forbid.

Vinogirl said...

I'm glad you liked the Torrentes, me & Vinomaker love it...but it does not work with grilled salmon!!!

monkey said...

This evening I successfully downloaded Bottle Shock, therefore at the weekend we will have to sample a French and Californian wine why attempting to watch it.

Lord Roby said...

I rarely drink white wine,less so when I have a gippy tummy.But tonight after a full- on day it's all I got.The wine is one I picked up at the local Chrimbo Market.I find it hard to analyse wine.I just like too drink it.All I can say apart from Domaine Sergent beind very nice.It is way to acidic for my gippy tummy.Bring on the apple pie and custard(creme anglais)..sooon!

monkey said...

Im very much the same but im learning to appriciate it a little.

Vinogirl said...

I probably drink 55/45% red vs. white right now, (Vinomaker more), and defo more in summer. Cab or Syrah on the deck in 100+ weather!!! A definite no, no!