Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Stags Leap Wine Cellars


Last night i got the usual thirst for a glass of wine but the only problem being i had nothing for a mid week drink. When i say this i mean nothing to special, i have three bottles of wine in the cupboard two of which are priceless and therefore saved for a special occasion. The other one is a bottle of Stag's Leap Wine Cellars Artemis Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) 2005, which i purchased in Napa and at a retail price of £30 and so i didn't want to pop the cork. For half an hour or so i walked form the living room to the kitchen each time looking at this bottle, should i or shouldn't i until finally Tenbellies got annoyed at my irritation and in the words of Withnail demanded i had some booze. So i popped the cork and sat back for what would be a memorable experience.

Artemis is a blend of Cab grapes from the FAY and SLV vineyards in the Napa Valley, despite this, the quality of wine is very good although i believe not as good as the Cask 23. There is a aroma of caramel that lingers around the rim of the glass, but more importantly it reminds me of Napa so i loved it already.

The colour is dark and inky but still young, it basically jumped into my mouth forcing me to drink it. The mouth feel was like silk and coated the whole mouth the tannins were pleasant and not harsh. With a nice earthy taste with the hint of spice, the finish was long with a topping of vanilla. I loved the wine from the get go, as soon as i could smell the wine it won me over and was well worth the opening. I brought this wine from Napa and for those several glasses it took me back at the fraction of the cost. This is why i love wine, Juice just quenches your thirst where wine creates memories. Ill definitely be heading over to Stags Leap the next time I'm in the Valley.

8 comments:

Vinogirl said...

They grow good fruit in the Stags Leap District.

Thud said...

Weak willed..or an alkie...I'm not sure which!

Mr Pineapples said...

Monkey

Your blog is interesting and admirable - but listen:

Educating folks about wine is very dangerous. It leads to them being disatisfied with the cheap stuff.

the cheap stuff is cheaper - it will hit the spot the same way as the expensive stuff.

Best leave folks happy in their ignorance - it will cost them less and they will enjoy their wine just the same.

P has spoken

monkey said...

Fortunately im not looking for your approval Mr P.
A suggestion, take some time to read some of my other posts and maybe you will understand that its not all about expensive wines and more about the love of drinking this fine beverage.

Vinogirl said...

Can we say Mr Cheapskate?

Lord Roby said...

Since you appear to be conducive to a bit of fatherly advice.Take a leaf out of Lord Robys book sonny jim.Always keep your best wine in a cellar, preferably one a long way away from temptation.Lord Robys favourite wine is safely under lock and key in the big smoke.I have the pleasure of knowing that it's getting better and more valuable by the minute.I can guarantee if it was in the relatively insecure cellar of Quaff Castle it would have been well and truly quaffed.I would have enjoyed it, but no doubt with a tinge of regret.Lord Byron would be proud of me.'Spleen really chases the blues away'he once said.One day I'm sure it will. Who's the daddy now?

Thud said...

Mr P does have a point though...only so much good stuff to go around!

Webster World said...

Yea I think thud is right. That is the main reason I drink Crown.